goatwisdom

MainPage

Acetone Poisoning

6240

12/30/01

Etiology

Acetone is occasionally used as an emulsifier in the preparation of insecticides. Also, it is sometimes used as a solvent for cleaning up following the use of adhesives for flooring, etc. It is commonly known as a primary ingredient in nail polish remover. Acetone toxicity is not to be confused with the metabolic disorder known as acetonemia (ketosis) which typically occurs after a recent delivery or other serious illnesses, but where the urine and/or breath may have an odor resembling that of nail polish remover.

Symptoms

GI irritation, narcosis, kidney and liver damage.

Treatment

Gastric lavage, low fat diet, oxygen. Other symptoms should be treated as need be.

Prevention

Always be careful of insecticides and put all toxic substances in a safe storage area where animals cannot get to them.

WWW Resources

CONSULTANT ©   Cornell's Diagnostic program



Main SiteMap Mail goatwisdom luci Fax: 305-574-0562